01 June 2012

Crispy Molasses Cookies

molasses-cookie2

Sometimes, the Midwestern, “Go ahead and talk to strangers,” side of me just comes out in full force.  When Mr. Trek and I recently moved into our new ‘hood, I started baking like a fiend to provide treats for the neighbors.  I received some raised eyebrows from my hubby as he wasn’t sure how people would take to a random stranger knocking on the door with cookies in tow.  No complaints from the other side of said doors, so we’ll keep it up!  We’re lucky also to have some foodies for neighbors, sharing jam and baked goods on occasion just makes us so much more assured about diving into the California real estate market.  One of our dear neighbors offered a bundle of grapefruit and some delightful cookies that I barely shared with Mr. Trek.  Whoops!  In exchange, I (reluctantly) shared these cookies and this recipe is posted in her honor.  I was hesitant because they turned out to be a bit crispier than what I expected.  However, they are perfect with ice cream, gelato or sorbet – so I am no longer embarrassed but have found their home – just as we found ours.  Sweet.

Crispy Molasses Cookies

Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients

¾c unsalted butter, melted

1c sugar

1 egg

¼c molasses

2c all-purpose flour

2t baking soda

½t salt

1t ground cinnamon

½t ground cloves

½t ground ginger

½c sugar

Procedure

1. Preheat the oven to 350°.

2. In a medium bowl, combine melted butter, sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in the molasses.

3. In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger; blend into the molasses mixture. Cover, and chill dough for 1 hour.

4. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and roll in remaining sugar. Place cookies 2” apart on parchment-lined cookie sheet.

5. Bake for 8-10 minutes until tops are cracked (watch carefully). Cool on wire racks.

Yield: 3 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment