I just started watching LOST (thank you, streaming NetFlix!) this spring. Yes, I’m often behind the times…
As Sam is a big fan, I decided to make a post-finale LOST dinner for him, featuring my yummy vegetarian chili (recipe below) renamed ‘Smoke Monster Chili’ for the event. Thanks to printing labels from this site, the tomatoes and beer seemed to originate from the Dharma Initiative itself!
Smoke Monster Chili
- 2T Olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored/seeded/diced
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded, minced (Taste + check the heat of the jalapeños before adding both.)
- 1 28oz can tomatoes (low-sodium), chopped + including liquid
- 1T ground cumin
- 1-2T chili powder
- 2t dried oregano (or 2T fresh, chopped)
- 1t fennel seeds
- 1 15oz can black beans (low-sodium), drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can kidney beans (low-sodium), drained and rinsed
- 3T lemon juice + zest of one lemon
- 1/2c red wine (remember, if you wouldn’t drink it - don’t cook with it!)
- 1t sugar
- 1/3c chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt + freshly ground black pepper to taste
Order of Operations 1 In a large stock pot (not kidding - it would make enough to feed 10 Hurleys!), heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 4mins. Add the garlic + cook about a minute more. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, and jalapeños. Cook about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
2 Add the tomatoes with any liquid that may have been in the can. Add oregano, cumin, + fennel seeds. Add chili powder to desired heat. Simmer for 20 minutes over low.
3 Add all of the beans, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, + cilantro. Add salt + freshly ground pepper to taste. Simmer 5 mins.
Serve with any combo of sliced avocados, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, + chopped green onions.
Serves: Hurley, Jack, Kate, Locke, Sayid, Charlie, Sun…you get the idea.